“We now have solid evidence that e-consults improve access to care, improve patient experience, and save money. It is exciting that an increasing number of payers are recognizing this and covering the costs.”
-Daren Anderson, MD, Director Weitzman Institute
“With e-consults, primary and specialty care providers are communicating about patients and delivering care that reduces travel time and low-value visits, and improves the information that a specialist has when they see a patient.”
“E-consults are conversations between primary and specialty care providers that have high value in that they lead to better outcomes at decreased costs.”
Mike Witte, MD, VP and CMO California Primary Care Association
E-Consult News & Events
- The August 20th E-Consult Workgroup Webinar will feature provider presentations on COVID-19’s impact on eConsult use. Speakers include Stanley Dea, MD of LA County Department of Health Services; Danielle Oryn, MD, CEO of Redwood Community Health Coalition; Jason Cunningham, MD, CEO of West County Health Centers; and Stanley K Frencher, Jr. MD MPH, CEO of HubMD.
- A recent survey of 208 neuro-opthalmologists found an increased use of telehealth modalities, including e-consults, during the pandemic, with e-consult use increasing from 4.4% to 18.7%.
- Our July 16th E-Consult Workgroup webinar featured presentations on the impact of COVID-19 on e-consult use by California Correctional Health Care Services (CCHCS) and a review of the report, “eConsults: A Triple Win for Patients, Clinicans and Payers”, published in June by the Milbank Memorial Fund.
- Anthem Blue Cross Expands E-Consult Program for Safety Net Providers: Read more about Anthem’s new virtual care program improving access for California’s underserved populations.
- E-Consult COVID-19 Resources: Updates to e-consult provider services, policies and best practices in response to the pandemic.
- E-consult Workshop 2020, November 16-17: Save the date. To learn more about the Workshop and Sponsorship Opportunities, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Expanding Safety Net Access to Specialty Care With E-Consult:
Best Practices and Tools for Payers, Providers, Policymakers and Patient Advocates
E-Consult Workgroup Sponsors
Funding and support for the E-Consult Toolkit is provided by California Health Care Foundation. Our thanks to Blue Shield of California Foundation for the project’s original funding. Our goal is to offer primary and specialty care providers, health IT experts, and patient care advocates information and tools for e-consult readiness assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation.